Niti's Early Literacy Development

I would be lying if I said I remembered the first book I ever learned to read. Even if I said I remembered the first time I tried writing, I wouldn't be telling you my honest truth. I will tell you what I do remember though: During my first year in school (pre-k), we were instructed to choose a book and read it in front of the class, so I chose my medium-sized hardcover The Tale of Peter Rabbit book. My mom helped me read and practice it daily for a week or two. I read very short children's books before this, but this was my first memory of actually learning to read.


Way before pre-k, I attended a day care during the summer, where I learned how to speak English. I was born in the US, but my first language was Gujarati because that is what my mom was speaking around me. She was also very good at speaking English, so I was able to grasp the language very easily once I started learning around 3-4 years old. My mom has always inspired me from a young age because she came from a different country and was still able to learn English and get certifications with some levels of education here in America. She always emphasized the importance of education since I was a child. With that, she was always there to support me whenever I needed it in school. If I ever needed help with homework, reading, writing, math, whatever it was, she tried her best to help me. She instilled a very positive, hard-working mindset in me, so I always felt encouraged.


Not only did I read and write in school, but I enjoyed reading and writing at home too. Because I understood the importance of learning, I found a natural joy in it. This sped up my literacy and development. From memory, I began feeling decently competent and literate at around first and second grade. I enjoyed writing narratives, as well as pieces about myself like this one. I enjoyed speaking through presentations and class participation. I often felt frustrated during my comprehension tests in the second grade though. When my mom noticed I was struggling, she told me to focus on improving that. Eventually, I got better at understanding and analyzing what I was reading. My mom and my school teachers were my role models.


I feel confident with my current literacy level, but like anything, I am still looking to improve. I always admire educated people with higher levels of literacy because some day, I want to articulate the way those people do. I will continue to utilize my literacy skills, while communicating with people and writing in my everyday life. During my free time even as an University student, I read and write as my hobby because I enjoy it. My mom will always continue to inspire me to be more educated and enhance my literacy skills because I want to show her that her early efforts in my literacy journey bloomed the brightest flowers.



Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing. Love the images and the story behind your journey.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Is Pop Culture Good for You?

What Should We Know About Financial Literacy?

Should the Obesity Epidemic be a Governmental or Personal Responsibility?